Food purchasing errors cost money, but systematic planning, evaluating, and ordering can pay big dividends. This comprehensive course defines terms, specifications and quality standards, and gives specific information on planning, record-keeping, inventory control and supply. Accessing Lynne's lifetime of experience will help make your foodservice operation efficient and sustainable, no matter what financial and economic factors impact your institution. Includes: ordering meat by grade, IMPS numbers; dairy product standards; classes, grades of poultry; storing fresh produce; evaluating purchase orders; value-added product comparison; cutting costs.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Know the importance of careful evaluation of products.
- Understand how to place orders for the foods needed to prepare menu items.
- Identify the terminology that is used by those grading meat products.
- Understand how to order meat items using IMPS numbers.
- Recognize the quality standards of dairy products.
- Understand the kinds, classes, grades, styles and types of poultry products.
- Describe new items that can be used on upcoming menus.
- Understand the product characteristics of beverages.
- Identify specifications that are appropriate.
- Apply the information learned to the buying of menu items.
- Relate knowledge of products to specifications of food items.
- Apply the storage requirements to the handling of fresh produce.
- Use information to decrease cost and increase quality of a product.
- Examine purchase orders to be certain that they are correct in every detail.
- Compare two value-added items to identify the one that is more economical.
- Develop a new innovative system to decrease food costs.
- Evaluate the alternatives of proposed systems of purchasing.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
The course is intended for nutrition professionals
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 7080, 7180, 8070, 8090 and performance indicators of 13.2.3, 13.2.5, 13.2.6, 13.3.3.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.