New author Liesje Nieman Carney has extensively revised this comprehensive course on growth, development, nutrition assessment and care of hospitalized children, adding three new chapters and additions throughout. Liesje combines new research with her hands-on knowledge of practice, procedures and products gained from working in a leading pediatric care center. Topics include: developmental disorders, failure to thrive, pulmonary conditions, obesity, chronic diseases, and much more.
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Be aware of the proper tools and methods for evaluating growth in children with special health care needs.
- Demonstrate how to properly measure mid-arm circumference, triceps and subscapular fatfolds in children.
- Compare and contrast different calorie recommendations for children with special health care needs.
- Calculate catch-up growth energy needs for a child with failure to thrive.
- Be aware of the various charts available for CSHCN.
- Discuss the difference between wasting and stunting of malnourished children.
- Explain how to increase formula concentration for an infant who is not gaining weight.
- Identify the reason for altered nutrient needs of premature infants.
- Describe the differences in commercial formulas for term infants and those for premature infants.
- Describe the effects of malabsorption on the nutrient needs of a child with cystic fibrosis.
- Identify three intervention strategies for children with failure to thrive.
- Evaluate the growth anomalies seen in children with fetal alcohol syndrome.
- Describe appropriate intervention strategies for a child with Prader-Willi syndrome.
- List the major nutritional concerns for a child with spina bifida.
- Analyze the diet and the biochemical indicators of a child with renal disease and make appropriate recommendations.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
The course is intended for nutrition professionals
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 3 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 3010, 3020, 3030, 4150, 5000, 5060, 5070, 5180, 5280, 5290, 5390, 5400 and performance indicators of 4.1.2 , 8.1.1, 8.1.4, 8.1.3, 8.1.5, 8.3.6, 10.1.1, 10.1.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.3, 10.2.4, 10.2.7, 10.2.11.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.