Alternatives to western medicine which address the body as a whole, interrelated system have grown in popularity. The most ancient of these systems, Ayurveda, has been popularized in books by Deepak Chopra and others, and many health practitioners and therapists are integrating it into their treatment plans. This course explains the concept and application of Ayurvedic medicine from a professional perspective to help nutrition professionals understand how this system can be integrated into their practice, and to aid communication with clients who seek or receive Ayurvedic care.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Give the English translation of the Sanskrit word, Ayurveda.
- State three reasons why Ayurveda is relevant in our current modern society.
- Identify the historical context and time frame during which Ayurveda developed.
- List the three main causes of disease and the root cause which contributes to these main causes, according to Ayurveda.
- Identify the five elements and the three doshas which are the building blocks of Ayurveda medicine.
- Discuss the 20 opposite qualities of nature in relationship to the three Ayurvedic seasons of Vata, Pitta and Kapha, also known as the yearly cycles of nature.
- Explain how Yoga is related to Ayurveda and what purpose it serves as mentioned in the ancient Indian texts.
- Why is identifying a person's innate constitution (prakriti) and imbalances (vikriti) important in Ayurveda medicine?
- Discuss how the "campfire" analogy can be compared to human digestion in simple terms.
- Identify several qualities of the mind in each of the three dosha type personalities, Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Develop a successful weight loss/lifestyle plan for a "tamassic" kapha individual who has chronic fatigue.
- Identify three lifestyle choices people in our modern society make which cause the Vata dosha to become imbalanced.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians and health educators.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at lms.nurse.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 1 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 1040, 1060, 4000, 4040, 5420, 5460, 6080 and performance indicators of 8.3.7, 10.4.3, 10.4.4.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.