The health of our society depends on professionals having current, practical information on weight management, and the confidence to make effective recommendations and judgments. More than 365,000 Americans die of obesity-related diseases each year. It contributes to four of the leading causes of death in the U.S., including heart disease. The estimated total costs to society, including medical treatment, lost work days due to obesity-related illness, sales of diet products, foods and services, surpass $100 billion per year. All healthcare professionals have key roles to play in addressing the issues of weight management. While many of the basic principles of effective weight management have remained the same over the years, new information is revealed on an ongoing basis and healthcare professionals should understand and keep current with the best evidence-based treatment options for overweight and obesity.
The goal of this adult weight management course is to provide practitioners with current and practical information on the causes, influences and best treatment options for overweight and obesity to make effective recommendations for clients. Upon successful completion of this course, the individual will be able to:
- Explain how the prevalence of obesity has changed in the past 20 to 30 years
- List reasons why some Americans will never achieve and should not diet to achieve the “ideal” weight as defined by body mass index
- Define overweight and obesity using BMI
- List the health risks of obesity
- Explain the calorie balance/imbalance root cause of obesity and the many factors, including genetics, appetite and exercise/activity, that influence it
- Explain how essential exercise is to a healthy lifestyle/weight loss program
- Estimate a person’s calorie needs and discuss DRI recommended levels
- Determine the efficacy and nutritional soundness of popular weight-loss programs
- Outline the components of an effective, healthy lifestyle/weight-loss program
- Identify which clients are appropriate for medication or surgical weight-loss treatment, and discuss the current surgeries as well as their benefits and risks
This course is intended for multiple professions, including dietitians and health educators.
Dietitians : Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 2110, 3030, 4060, 5200, 5320, 5370, 5390, 6020 and performance indicators: 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.5, 8.2.3, 8.2.4, 8.3.1, 8.3.6, 8.3.7, 9.6.5, 10.1.2
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.