Gluten intolerance, celiac disease, IBS, Crohn’s, colitis and diverticulosis cause nutrition deficiencies, bone disease, autoimmune problems and hematological diseases. The goal of this course is to provide a better understanding of GI diseases and nutrition management and education tools. Resources for more information, including how to find dietitians specializing in celiac disease and gluten related disorders are included. Updates throughout this course cover symptoms, diagnosis, nutritional implications and treatment, with special focus on gluten-free diets.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the basic function of the GI tract; the absorption sites in the GI tract for specific vitamins, minerals and other nutrients; and the role of probiotics in GI tract function
- Explain the basic pathophysiology of irritable bowel diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, diverticular disease and celiac disease
- Discuss how gut-associated lymphoid tissue, antigen tolerance and autoantibodies relate to the development of inflammatory bowel disease
- Describe the role of probiotics in treating inflammatory bowel disease
- Compare and contrast Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, including etiology, pathology, diagnosis, nutritional concerns and treatment
- Design one diet for a patient with Crohn’s disease who does not require surgery and one for a Crohn’s patient who has a resection of the large intestine
- Compare and contrast the various presentations of celiac disease, including symptoms, organs and body systems that are involved
- Discuss the nutritional deficiencies common in celiac disease and develop a plan to address these deficiencies
- Explain the basic components of a gluten-free diet and barriers to compliance with the diet
- Develop a Medical Nutrition Therapy treatment plan for a patient with celiac disease and gluten intolerance
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians and health educators.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at lms.nurse.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 3000, 3005, 3040, 3090, 5000, 5120, 5220, 5230, 5280, 5390, 5410 and performance indicators of 8.1.5,10.1.2, 10.2.4, 10.4.4.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.