Reviewed and recertified. Updated information on weight management using the highly acclaimed HUGS plan for teenagers. Provides proven, practical strategies and techniques to work with this problem population, using the nondiet approach which incorporates food, fitness, and lifestyle. The authors originated the HUGSTM program, and wrote a lecture on nondiet strategies for weight management. Essential for working in weight control and school fitness programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the forces that influence how teenagers feel about themselves
- Define body image and identify three consequences of poor body image
- Describe how eating disorders and dieting behaviors are related
- List five developmental tasks of adolescence
- Explain how smoking is used by teenage girls
- Describe eight facilitated empowerment tedchniques for teen groups
- List three functions of nourishment by food for the adolescent
- Describe the effect of physical activity on teens' psychological health
- List 10 personal and internal indicators of healthier living
- Explain how a healthy body metabolism operates
- List five benefits of eating breakfast
- Describe the consequences of caffeine, nicotine and sugar abuse
- Explain the role of carbohydrate and protein in appetite control
- List five reasons why fat is important in adolescent eating patterns
- Contrast restricting fat and retraining tastes for fat
- Explain why iron deficiency is a concern for teenage vegetarians
- Describe how natural hunger, appetite and satiety signals function
- Contrast mind and body hunger
- Contrast internal and external appetite cues
- List 10 reasons to give up dieting
- Desribe and list five benefits of conscious eating
- Contrast exercise and active living
- Name and refute three myths about the nutrition needs of teenage athletes
- Describe four critical thinking and assertive problem solving techniques
- List 10 ways teens can counter the presssures to diet
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, athletic trainers, and fitness professionals.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 3020, 4040, 4090, 4160, 5200, 5370, 6010, 6020 and performance indicators of 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, 2.1.5, 4.1.2, 8.2.4, 8.3.1, 8.3.6, 8.3.7, 9.4.2, 9.4.4, 9.6.1, 12.3.1.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.