Nutrition professionals with vegetarian clients need to learn about the philosophy, nutritional soundness and risks of meatless diets. This complete guide discusses counseling, quackery, myths, fads and pseudotechnology, fitness and weight control, supplementation and much more.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- State at least five reasons why some people choose a vegetarian dietary regimen
- Explain the non-scientific (i.e. philosophical and religious) rationales for vegetarianism
- Describe semi-vegetarian, lacto-ovo-vegetarian, and vegan dietary practices
- Discuss the relationship of vegetarian dietary practices to risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, obesity, high blood pressure and osteoporosis
- Identify nutritional deficiencies that can occur on some vegetarian diets
- List dietary recommendations for lacto-ovo-vegetarians and vegans
- Explain the importance of adequate calcium in vegan diets. List sources of calcium
- Plan lacto-ovo-vegetarian and vegan menus that meet dietary recommendations
- Explain how the new labeling requirements will aid vegetarians in planning their diets
- Identify characteristics of nutrition quackery and cite examples of pseudotechnology used by quacks.
- List effective nutrition counseling skills for vegetarians
- Describe nutritional needs and guidelines for vegetarian women who are pregnant or lactating, vegetarian infants and children, and older vegetarians
- Describe special dietary considerations for active vegetarians and vegetarians trying to lose weight
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, athletic trainers, and fitness professionals.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 3020, 4040, 4110, 5200, 6020 and performance indicators: 8.1.1, 8.1.4, 8.2.1, 8.3.6.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.