Sedentary children become obese, but healthy habits can be learned early in life with systematic attention to diet and activity routines offered by parents, day-care providers, preschool administrators, and teachers. Drawing on her experiences developing the KID-FIT preschool-age fitness programs, the author provides practical, proven age-appropriate diet, nutrition and exercise/activity strategies for youngsters.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain why it is important for preschool children to start learning healthy lifestyle habits
- Identify components of an effective preschool fitness program
- Understand the medical, social and physical benefits of an appropriate fitness program for children
- Apply concepts of child psychology to manage children's behavior in an active setting
- Describe why pediatric obesity has become a worldwide health pandemic
- List five medical consequences of overeating and inactivity for small children
- Demonstrate examples of appropriate exercises for preschool children in regards to strength training, aerobic exercise, stretching and sports skill development
- Explain the role of the adult psyche in the continued growth of pediatric obesity
- Identify nutritional deficiencies common in preschool children
- List exercises that are contraindicated for preschool children
- Understand the difference between adults and children in terms of physiology
- Know the difference in emotional and physical abilities of 2 to 3-year-olds and 4 to 5-year-olds
- Detail what children can realistically learn about the food pyramid and healthy eating
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, athletic trainers, and fitness professionals.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 3020, 4000, 4010, 4020, 4030, 4040, 4060, 4150, 5070, 6000, 6040 and performance indicators of 8.2.4, 8.3.7.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.