This new edition provides guidelines for boosting performance, limiting risk, and promoting healthy development in young exercisers and competitors. Topics include: the relationship of motor development to sports activities; assessing nutrient needs; energy production; fluid and electrolytes; weight control and dieting; and much more.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand how to assess growth and development in children and adolescents.
- Understand the relationship of maturation and training.
- Discuss how body composition relates to athletic performance.
- Describe five factors that increase the risk of dehydration in children, compare to adults.
- Provide fluid replacement guidelines for young athletes before, during, and after activity.
- Understand how to help prevent heat disorders in young athletes.
- Provide appropriate food choices for pre-event and post-event meals.
- Discuss the diagnostic criteria, physical symptoms, and medical complications of eating disorders.
- Discuss safety concerns and health risks associated with the use of performance enhancing supplements in children and adolescents.
- Discuss the limitations of body composition assessment in youth.
- Name five tips for coaches and parents to consider when working with an overweight child.
- Describe how guidelines for weight loss and weight gain in children and adolescents differ, depending upon age.
- Describe factors that impact protein requirements in youth.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, and fitness professionals.
Dietitians: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 2110, 3020, 3030, 4030, 4060, 4150, 4160, 5200, 6040 and performace indicators: 8.1.1, 8.2.1, 8.2.4, 8.3.7
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.