Dietetics professionals needing to implement the Nutrition Care Process (NCP) will find this course an excellent primer and tutorial. Beginning with an overview of how care processes benefit healthcare providers in all areas of practice, the course explains the promise NCP holds in facilitating recognition of the special skills and knowledge that dietetics professionals bring to patient care. Topics include the steps of the NCP (nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, nutrition intervention, nutrition monitoring/evaluation), why health care professionals use care processes, the diagnostic thought process, diagnosing nutrition problems with the NCP, documenting care using PES statements in a variety of styles, and integrating informatics into the care process.
Upon successful completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Relate the developments in health care that support use of a care process by dietitians.
- Describe each of the components of the Nutrition Care Process and Model.
- Discuss the benefits associated with using a standardized terminology in dietetics practice.
- Identify the components of nutrition assessment as described in the Nutrition Care Process.
- Gather information from a patient history using a case study.
- Critically evaluate patient information to complete a nutrition assessment.
- Discuss the differences between the medical diagnosis and the nutrition diagnosis.
- Given a case scenario, correctly diagnose nutrition problems.
- Write clear, concise P-E-S statements for brief case scenarios.
- Given a case scenario, select interventions appropriate for a given nutrition diagnosis
- Discuss rationale for selecting a nutrition intervention.
- Determine own level of autonomy for implementing nutrition interventions depending on practice setting and level of experience.
- Describe how goals are set for nutrition intervention.
- List at least 2-3 goals for a given nutrition intervention.
- Identify standards for comparison when selecting monitoring and evaluation parameters.
- Define nutrition informatics.
- Locate nutrition-related information using a search engine.
- Critically evaluate appropriateness of web page content.
- Develop an understanding of critical thinking skills.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
The course is intended for nutrition professionals
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a level 2 course with suggested CDR learning codes of 1000, 1070, 3000, 5390, 5400, 7160 and performance indicators of 10.2.3, 10.2.5, 10.2.8.
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.