New definitions of malnutrition are proposed by ADA and ASPEN. Learn what they are and their implications for your practice. Covered in this course are all aspects of clinical assessment, reflecting current standards of practice and laboratory parameters, with specific disease-related assessment problems featured: CVD, diabetes, stress and sepsis, respiratory disease, renal disease, liver disease, cancer, AIDS. Includes case studies and worksheets. Essential for the hospital- or clinic-based RD and those working in long term care.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define and identify the different types of malnutrition.
- Identify the components involved in obtaining a diet history and in the evaluation of a medical/surgical history.
- Understand the physical symptoms of protein-calorie and vitamin/mineral malnutrition.
- List the different types of anthropometrics and body composition studies.
- Describe the components of the subjective global assessment.
- Explain the relationships between nutritional status and various laboratory data.
- Understand acid-base balance and its importance in assessing the appropriateness of nutrition support.
- List and explain use of various protein status indicators in nutrition assessment.
- List and explain use of various immune status indicators in nutrition assessment.
- Describe various means by which nutritional requirements can be determined and be able to calculate the needs of healthy people as well as acutely and chronically ill patients.
- List the specific laboratory tests that should be used in the nutritional assessment of patients diagnosed with stress and sepsis, cancer, liver disease, pulmonary disease and diabetes.
- Understand the changes in nutrition assessment and evaluation of nutrition requirements in the patient with chronic or acute disease.
- List and explain the metabolic and physiologic changes that occur with aging.
- Discuss how the nutrition assessment of elderly patients differs from younger patients.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
The course is intended for nutrition professionals
OnCourse Learning is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider (#GD001) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). This course is a Level 2 course. Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 3010, 3020, 3030, 3040, 3060, 3080, 3090 and performance indicators: 8.3.7, 10.1.1, 10.1.2, 10.2.3
OnCourse Learning is also accredited by the Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition (provider # FBN 50-1489).
This program has been approved for fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (CBDM). Granting prior approval does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
For Florida professionals:
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.