New author Kala Shipley has spent her career working with children's nutrition programs. She brings a fresh perspective to the latest edition of this comprehensive course on nutrition from weaning through adolescence. Includes important information in childhood weight control and obesity, exercise, growth and development, supplementation, hyperactivity, more.
The goal of this course is to provide an overview of nutrition guidelines, tools to assess nutritional status and resources to address nutrition-related influences and concerns during childhood and adolescence. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe the nutrition guidelines for healthy eating for children and adolescents and how growth and development are assessed
- Identify environmental, cultural, socioeconomic and family influences for the prevention of childhood overweight
- Understand legislation that influences the school meals program and how this program can improve the health and academic success of students
- State pros and cons of vitamin/mineral supplements for children and adolescents
- Define food allergies and discuss methods of diagnosing and treating
- State scientifically documented relationships between hyperactivity and food, psychoses/behavior and food, and performance/learning abilities and food
- State why nutritional counseling and intervention strategies should be targeted at the teen himself or herself rather than the parents
- State three areas of concern regarding nutrition in adolescent athletes and state how to evaluate the diet for adequacy
- Describe the following nutrition-related problems and list how to treat or prevent: nutritional anemias, obesity, anorexia and bulimia
- State the nutrition problems related to fast food consumption and list three optimal meal choices to minimize these problems
- Describe food jags, at what ages they usually occur and how parents can best handle them
- Describe the influence television has on children’s food choices and recommend two ways for parents to cope with it
- Discuss the ramifications of high-serum cholesterol in children, including etiology of atherosclerosis, risk assessment and measuring techniques, and treatment modalities
- Discuss how nutrition affects dental health
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, and fitness professionals.
Fitness professionals: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at lms.nurse.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is recognized by the American Council on Exercise as a Continuing Education Specialist (provider #250164). This course is approved for 0.9 ACE CEC.
OnCourse Learning is recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certification Committee as an approved provider of continuing education (provider #A1074). This course is approved for 0.9 CEU of continuing education for the CSCS & NSCA-CPT (expired 12/31/16).
The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that Nutrition Dimension meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from 2010 to 2013 (provider #681205). ACSM’s Professional Education Committee certifies that OnCourse Learning meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from 2013 to December 2019 (provider #730441). This course is approved for 9.0 ACSM CEC. ACSM approved providership of these programs does not imply endorsement of the sponsoring organization’s products/services.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.