This new edition provides guidelines for boosting performance, limiting risk, and promoting healthy development in young exercisers and competitors. Topics include: the relationship of motor development to sports activities; assessing nutrient needs; energy production; fluid and electrolytes; weight control and dieting; and much more.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand how to assess growth and development in children and adolescents.
- Understand the relationship of maturation and training.
- Discuss how body composition relates to athletic performance.
- Describe five factors that increase the risk of dehydration in children, compare to adults.
- Provide fluid replacement guidelines for young athletes before, during, and after activity.
- Understand how to help prevent heat disorders in young athletes.
- Provide appropriate food choices for pre-event and post-event meals.
- Discuss the diagnostic criteria, physical symptoms, and medical complications of eating disorders.
- Discuss safety concerns and health risks associated with the use of performance enhancing supplements in children and adolescents.
- Discuss the limitations of body composition assessment in youth.
- Name five tips for coaches and parents to consider when working with an overweight child.
- Describe how guidelines for weight loss and weight gain in children and adolescents differ, depending upon age.
- Describe factors that impact protein requirements in youth.
Course content may take a few minutes to display fully.
This course is intended for an interprofessional audience, including dietitians, health educators, and fitness professionals.
Fitness professionals: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at www.continuingeducation.com
. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at cedirect.continuingeducation.com
and search for this topic title.
OnCourse Learning is recognized by the American Council on Exercise as a Continuing Education Specialist (provider #250164). This course is approved for 1.0 ACE CEC.
OnCourse Learning is recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certification Committee as an approved provider of continuing education (provider #A1074). This course is approved for 0.8 CEU of continuing education for the CSCS & NSCA-CPT.
The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that Nutrition Dimension meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from 2010 to 2013 (provider #681205). ACSM’s Professional Education Committee certifies that OnCourse Learning meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from 2013 to December 2019 (provider #730441). This course is approved for 10.0 ACSM CECs. ACSM approved providership of these programs does not imply endorsement of the sponsoring organization’s products/services.
Course Originally Released on:
Date of Most Recent Review:
Course Termination/Update Date:
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.