24 hours of continuing education are due April 1st of each even year and ending on March 31st of the next even year.
- 14 hours shall be earned by completing a program in which the instructor conducts the class employing in-person or live, real-time interactive media or by employing an archived audio or video presentation which permits the licensee a means to communicate with the presenter in real time.
- No more than 10 hours of approved independent study (subject/program/activity that a person pursues autonomously)
- No more than four hours for mandatory reporting of abuse per biennium.
Training for Identifying and Reporting Abuse
Iowa-licensed respiratory therapists shall complete an approved training program in identifying and reporting abuse. An approved training program is a training program using a curriculum approved by the abuse education review panel of the Department of Public Health. Continuing education credit from these courses can be used for license renewal if an approved provider gives the course and continuing education credit is awarded. At the time of renewal, the licensee will be required to document completion of the training requirements.
An Iowa-licensed respiratory therapist who regularly provides primary health care to children shall complete:
- Two hours of training in child abuse identification and reporting in the previous five years.
An Iowa-licensed respiratory therapist who regularly provides primary health care to adults shall complete:
- Two hours of training in dependent adult abuse identification and reporting in the previous five years.
An Iowa-licensed athletic trainer who regularly provides primary health care to adults and children shall complete training on the identification and reporting of abuse in dependent adults and children. This training may be completed through two separate courses or in one combined two-hour course that includes curricula for identifying and reporting child abuse and dependent adult abuse.
For more information visit the Iowa Board of Respiratory Care.